At General Dynamics IT, we support several sustainability initiatives by:
- Tracking energy use and developing a greenhouse gas inventory
- Increasing the utilization and improving the location efficiency of our facilities
- Evaluating business risks and opportunities related to climate change
- Developing a standardized approach to waste and recycling, auditing facility recycling practices, and retrofitting facilities as needed
- Providing a pre-tax transportation benefit for employees that use transportation
- Offering policies that support telework and flexible work schedules
- Providing discounted Capital Bikeshare memberships for employees in the DC Metro area
- Evaluating our procurement process to improve our green purchasing, including standard office and breakroom supplies
- Promoting environmental volunteer opportunities in communities where we work
Greenhouse Gas Emissions
General Dynamics IT has estimated our energy use and associated greenhouse gas emissions since base year 2007. In 2016, General Dynamics IT reported Scope 1 and 2 emissions of approximately 38,700 metric tons CO2e. The majority of GDIT’s emissions are from the electricity use in the facilities we lease.
Celebrating Earth Day
Our annual Earth Day volunteer opportunities energize General Dynamics IT colleagues from across the company to get outside and make a difference. In 2018, General Dynamics IT employees collected litter in Falls Church, VA, planted trees in Bossier City, LA, and SCUBA litter clean up underwater near Yokosuka Navy Base in Japan.